General library collections
The E.P. Taylor Library & Archives general collections reflect the permanent collection and the public programs of the Art Gallery of Ontario:
- Over 165,000 volumes for general art information and in-depth research in the history of art, covering western art in all media from the medieval period on, Canadian First Nations and Inuit art, and African and Oceanic art
- Canadian, American and European art journals and newspapers
- Over 50,000 sales and auction catalogues (late 18th c. to current)
- Over 40,000 documentation files on Canadian art and artists, and international contemporary artists
- Multimedia, digital and microform collections
These collections may be accessed without an appointment during our regular open hours (see Welcome to the Library & Archives).
Please use the online catalogue to search for titles in advance of your visit. A small proportion of our catalogue is still in card catalogue format. These titles may be searched in person, or please email the reference desk if you would like us to search for you.
Our collections do not circulate, which means that they are always on the shelf when needed.