Image and Merchandise Licensing
Image(s) of AGO products
FLICKER SLIDE SHOW GOES HERE
Unique imagery from the collection of the Art Gallery of Ontario
Artfully interpret our fabulous collection of paintings, drawings, prints, photographs and sculpture, using an image in its entirety or a tiny detail, to create a beautiful new product.
Our images are and can be used for book covers, calendars, advertising campaigns, stationary, textiles, wallpaper, in films & TV, mugs and tea cups, tea towels, jewellery, scarves, postage stamps and puzzles, in editorial content and on websites, to name just a few.
Visit our Popular Images and Themes page for inspiration or take advantage of our full research services to assist you in selecting images to meet your needs. In the works for late 2016: searchable Online AGO Collections database.
- Themes include: children, animals, sports, landscape, botanicals, still life, nature, architecture, abstract, travel, religion & mythology, history, portraits, nudes, war, Group of Seven, Thomson Collection, and many more.
- New digital content added daily
- Art in our collection can be digitized for your project
- Free advice on how to obtain permissions
- Assistance clearing artist's copyright if necessary
- Arrange reproduction licensing for works of art represented by the AGO
- Not quite sure what you're looking for? Just ask us for HELP!
Image and Merchandise Licensing Policy
- Written permission for rights to reproduce images of AGO artwork must be obtained from AGO Image Resources. Licensed reproductions must only be made from high-resolution digital files provided by the AGO.
- A merchandise licensing agreement signed by both the AGO and the Licensee must be in place prior to the production of a licensed product.
- License costs and/or royalty arrangements will be determined on an individual basis, dependent upon the rights requested, the AGO artwork involved, the type of product to be produced, and the duration of the license. An advance on royalty and minimum guaranteed royalty payable to the AGO is standard for all licensing agreements.
- For print material, the AGO will require full acknowledgement and ownership credits to appear on the same page as the reproduction, on the opposite page, or on the reverse. In case of publication where this is restricted by format, then the artist's name, title of work, and date of work is acceptable if a complete entry appears in an index of illustrations.
- For merchandise, basic object information is to be included in some fashion with or on the product and the Art Gallery of Ontario is to be credited. The AGO will usually allow a licensee to use the AGO name in connection with the marketing, distribution, and sale of the product.
- Final layout of commercial applications must be submitted, or explained by illustration for the approval of the Art Gallery of Ontario before production.
- Digital files do not need to be returned; however any use beyond the scope of the license agreement is prohibited.
If you are interested in applying for permission to license images of artwork in the AGO collection for merchandise, please submit our Online Image Request Form.