Transformation AGO: New Art
Because art matters, the Transformation AGO project builds on the strengths of the AGO collection and ventures into bold new areas.
With Transformation AGO, thousands of works are added to the AGO's collection:
- The Thomson Collection, including works by such Canadian artists as Paul Kane, Tom Thomson, Cornelius Krieghoff and Lawren Harris
- The Thomson Collection of European art, highlighted by Peter Paul Rubens’s recently rediscovered early 17th-century masterpiece, The Massacre of the Innocents
- Dr. Murray Frum’s magnificent gift of Gian Lorenzo Bernini’s baroque crucifixion sculpture, Corpus
- Landmark collections of new photography
- Outstanding collections of historical African and Australian Aboriginal art
- The Fick-Eggert Archive of more than 300 works on paper and documents from the avant-garde Cologne Dada group
- A $5M contemporary art acquisition endowment fund established to enable the Gallery to continually build its collection
Unknown, Kingdom of Bangangte, Cameroon, Commemorative Statue of a Queen with Child. 19th century, wood, 123.8 cm. AGO, gift from the Frum collection, 1999, © 2007 Art Gallery of Ontario
Gian Lorenzo Bernini, Italian, 1598-1680, Corpus, around1650, bronze, Height: 174.0 cm (68 1/2 "). The Art Gallery of Ontario,Toronto. Gift of the Murray Frum Family, 2006, Photo Copyright:Salander - O’Reilly Galleries / Maggie Nimkin., Collection, Art Galleryof Ontario, Toronto
Tim Lee (Canadian 1975-) Upsidedown Water Torture Chamber, Harry Houdini, 2004,Light jet print. The Art Gallery of Ontario, Toronto. Purchased withfinancial support of the Canada Council for the Arts AcquisitionAssistance program and with the assistance of The Janet and MichaelScott Endowment Fund for Acquisitions of Contemporary Art, 2004, © 2007Tim Lee
Unknown photographer: Associated Press, London, England, Supporting the team: Well-dressed English lads yelling support for their team, 1930s,gelatine silver print, 15.2 x 20.4 cm. The Art Gallery of Ontario,Toronto. Art Gallery of Ontario, Anonymous Gift, 2005, © 2007 ArtGallery of Ontario
Unknown, Western Australia, Australia, Shield, mid-19thcentury, wood and ochre pigment, 74.0 x 21.0 cm. The Art Gallery ofOntario, Toronto. Anonymous gift, 2002, © 2007 Art Gallery of Ontario
Peter Paul Rubens (Flemish, 1577-1640), The Massacre of the Innocents, c.1611-12, oil on wood panel, 142.0 x 182.0 cm. The Art Gallery of Ontario, Toronto. The Thomson Collection.